This is for tying/knotting quilts. 100% wool, so it should full up into little pom pom balls very nicely. I saw this and was completely in love. I have never liked the little tails on most tied quilts, but the little poof balls? LOVE!
There is a small stack of lumber leaning in a corner behind me. It is to replicate one of these. Once done, I can not only do International/hidden stitch tying (with perle cotton, not wool) but hand quilting, too. Technically, I can do my wooly vision of regular tied quilts on the craft table, but reaching the middle would be extremely difficult.
Full disclosure: I am a bit hardcore about some of my DIY projects. This will not be my first woodworking adventure involving power tools while living in an apartment and I am sure it will not be my last. Aside from the lumber, the only other purchases were suitable wood screws, a chisel, and sand paper. My father was a cabinet maker and I grew up around woodworking. It is something I strongly gravitate to; if only I had a house I could put a Norm Abram-type shop in! (Like I need another $$$ hobby LOL)
(start rant) I have a nicely stocked tool cabinet that no amount KonMari-ing is going to get me to let go of. If you have read Spark Joy, you may recall she says to chuck your tools and use other objects in their place. As an OSHA brat, the safety of correctly using the right tool for the job means more to me than pretty minimlism. #safetyfirst (end rant)
I have some utility sewing to do and I have procrastinated myself into a bind. It is laundry day, my laundry cart liner is in tatters, and the fabric to replace it is partially cut and taking up valuable real estate on the cutting table. Is there a Procrastinators Anonymous I should look into?
This is what I did over breakfast – a mock up on the computer. This idea uses 3″, 6″ and 12″ squares and 3″ x 6″ rectangles.
I have no idea if I have enough scraps to cut all of this 🙂
Remember the sneak peek? That is my appique fabric. In my crazy quilt lady brain, I am picturing meandering vines that play hide and seek, appearing on the 6″ and 12″ blocks and hiding behind the rest.
Long story short: my car got totalled and the auto insurance claims department, in a word, sucked. My local agent’s office was the exact opposite. If not for that representative, I would have a new auto insurance carrier.
So I am making her a little gifty. These are mock ups, in reality what you see below is actually patches of fabric cleverly arranged on the cutting table.
Front and back. I will be sewing this using SusanClaire’s technique as described here. Fully reversible, so it’s a two-for-one deal.
Oh yes, I forgot to share the flannel I am using to back my denim stained glass quilt:
Both the quilt as you go/reversible quilt technique and to use an animal print as the backing were found here. I will be doing my own design based on what I cut from my denim stash. Honestly, it’s like playing with a puzzle. Fun!
Another stash buster that I bought fabric and thread for. Does that happen to anyone else? I pulled out my stash of denim to make a stained glass quilt with it, decided it will need some applique, and therefore…
I also ordered more black fabric because that I not something I stash and some flannel for the backing. I am failing at busting but winning at S.A.B.L.E.
These are gifts for a co-worker. I Googled “quilted plant mat” and found an image for stained glass mug rug. That became my inspiration.
I started by laying scraps on the cutting mat to see if I could just use what I already had. Mostly, yes. I did cut down a couple of 5″ charms, but basically the rest were cutoffs from other projects.
I found the video first, then this blog post and used the method described to add the sashing strips. I used leftover black fabric torn for the kitchen rug. I did not cut the black strips to match the patch, instead I trimmed off the extra after it was sewn on.
My strips are wonky but I love the way the black sets off the colors. Plus wonky = handmade with love.
The back is pieced from more leftover fabric bits.
Viola! Here is the front…
…and the back.
I decided to make another reversing the color placement swaping light for dark.
This time I started with bits from my neutral bin.
And came up with this. Here is what I changed from the blog method:
Using the half inch seam guide on the sewing machine was more accurate than folding the strips. But it also resulted in narrower sashing.
I also remembered to make the back a little more interesting by tilting it a bit before I cut it to size for the front.
The aftermath. There is the kitchen rug peeking out in the upper left hand corner. I don’t think I will have time to play with it this weekend because I have to adult and do chores.