This is what I did over breakfast – a mock up on the computer. This idea uses 3″, 6″ and 12″ squares and 3″ x 6″ rectangles.
I have no idea if I have enough scraps to cut all of this 🙂
Remember the sneak peek? That is my appique fabric. In my crazy quilt lady brain, I am picturing meandering vines that play hide and seek, appearing on the 6″ and 12″ blocks and hiding behind the rest.
Long story short: my car got totalled and the auto insurance claims department, in a word, sucked. My local agent’s office was the exact opposite. If not for that representative, I would have a new auto insurance carrier.
So I am making her a little gifty. These are mock ups, in reality what you see below is actually patches of fabric cleverly arranged on the cutting table.
Front and back. I will be sewing this using SusanClaire’s technique as described here. Fully reversible, so it’s a two-for-one deal.
Oh yes, I forgot to share the flannel I am using to back my denim stained glass quilt:
Both the quilt as you go/reversible quilt technique and to use an animal print as the backing were found here. I will be doing my own design based on what I cut from my denim stash. Honestly, it’s like playing with a puzzle. Fun!
Another stash buster that I bought fabric and thread for. Does that happen to anyone else? I pulled out my stash of denim to make a stained glass quilt with it, decided it will need some applique, and therefore…
I also ordered more black fabric because that I not something I stash and some flannel for the backing. I am failing at busting but winning at S.A.B.L.E.
These are gifts for a co-worker. I Googled “quilted plant mat” and found an image for stained glass mug rug. That became my inspiration.
I started by laying scraps on the cutting mat to see if I could just use what I already had. Mostly, yes. I did cut down a couple of 5″ charms, but basically the rest were cutoffs from other projects.
I found the video first, then this blog post and used the method described to add the sashing strips. I used leftover black fabric torn for the kitchen rug. I did not cut the black strips to match the patch, instead I trimmed off the extra after it was sewn on.
My strips are wonky but I love the way the black sets off the colors. Plus wonky = handmade with love.
The back is pieced from more leftover fabric bits.
Viola! Here is the front…
…and the back.
I decided to make another reversing the color placement swaping light for dark.
This time I started with bits from my neutral bin.
And came up with this. Here is what I changed from the blog method:
Using the half inch seam guide on the sewing machine was more accurate than folding the strips. But it also resulted in narrower sashing.
I also remembered to make the back a little more interesting by tilting it a bit before I cut it to size for the front.
The aftermath. There is the kitchen rug peeking out in the upper left hand corner. I don’t think I will have time to play with it this weekend because I have to adult and do chores.
I wish I could add a gratuitous cat loving her new bed picture, but alas, she is completely ignoring it at this stage. That has not deterred me from wanting to make her another one in a different style.
Wishing you all a happy, healhy stash busting 2019!